Steam is the server that allows users to download, install, and organize games on their systems. But, most of the Steam users are experiencing a Steam Download Slow issue while downloading the games. The downloading speed of their Steam games is slower, and sometimes they can’t even download any games.
It is frustrating and annoying for Steam users. But you don’t need to worry about that, as it can be fixed by following the steps mentioned in this article.
But before heading to the solutions to fix the slow steam downloading speed issue, let’s know the possible reasons that can cause this issue.
Reasons Behind A Slow Steam Download:
These could be the possible reasons behind the slow Steam downloading issue which you might need to check before exploring the solutions:
- Slow internet connection.
- Your bandwidth limit.
- Active VPN.
- Poor PC performance.
- When your Steam server experiences very high traffic.
- Due to uncleared download cache.
How to Resolve Steam Download Slow?
These are some of the troubleshooting steps that will help you to fix the slow Steam downloading issue while playing games on Steam:
Fix 1: Turn Off Downloads On Your PC
Follow this step if you are experiencing a slow downloading speed issue on your Steam. Check your computer if any download tasks are going in the background of which you are not aware.
Fix 2: Close Background Applications
Your Steam games downloading speed might get impacted due to the applications running in the background, especially when they are using the internet. These are the few programs that may run in the background and can affect downloading speed:
- Torrent Applications.
- Antivirus software.
- GPU applications such as NVIDIA GeForce Experience.
- Cloud storage applications like Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.
Close the background applications using Task Manager (press CTRL+ALT+DEL).
Fix 3: Check Your Internet Connection
Your internet connection plays an important role when you download any game. So, if you are experiencing a Steam slow download speed issue then, it could happen due to an unstable internet connection. Hence, to resolve the internet related issues, do the following:
- Make sure your computer is connected to the internet properly. Check your wireless network status (if you are using a wireless connection) or network cable connection (if you are using a wired network connection).
- Restart network devices and see if this resolves the issue.
- Make sure to check your modem or router. If it’s creating a problem then, unplug the modem or router from the power source for about 30 seconds and see if the issue is resolved or not. you are using a
- Contact your Internet service provider and take his advice if you are experiencing any network connection-related issues.
Fix 4: Clear The Download Cache
If you are experiencing slow downloading speed on the Steam client, then try to clear your download cache. And, to do so, follow the steps given below:
- Click Steam on the Steam client and then click on Settings.
- Next, click on Downloads > CLEAR DOWNLOAD CACHE.
- Then, click OK.
- Now, log in to your Steam client and check whether the download speed is restored or not.
If the issue still exists then, follow the fixes given below.
Fix 5: Change Your Download Region On Steam
You can change your download region on Steam as per your personal preference. And, download server might be one of the reasons behind slow steam download speed. Follow the steps below to change the download region on Steam:
- Click Steam on the Steam client -> then click on Settings.
- Now, click on Downloads -> Now, click on the drop-down menu of Download Region, and select download region as per your preference (one that is relatively close to you).
- Click on OK to confirm.
- Now, start downloading your game and see if this method worked for you or not.
If this solution helped you to resolve the Steam download slow issue, then great. If not, then don’t worry. There are more solutions that you can try.
Fix 6: Disable Your Firewall Or Antivirus
Your Firewall software could be the reason behind the slow game downloading speed on Steam. If it is the troublemaker, then disable your firewall or antivirus temporarily. If the issue persists then, go ahead with other solutions.
Fix 7: Close The Hard Drive Utilizing Programs
Some programs cause high hard drive utilization, due to which the downloading speed slows down. So all you need to do is, check the disk usage and close the resource-hogging programs. Check your hard drive usage by following the steps given below:
- Right-click on the Taskbar -> Click on Task Manager.
- In the Task Manager panel, close the programs causing high disk usage by right-clicking on the program and selecting End task/Process.
Resume the downloading process and see if this method worked for you. If not, then proceed with the other solutions given below.
Fix 8: Update Network Driver
If you are using the wrong or outdated network driver, then it can impact your download speed. Update network driver to avoid slow Steam downloading speed issue. And to do so, follow the instructions below:
- Press Win+R, type devmgmt.msc in the Run box, and then click OK.
- The Device Manager panel opens. Click on Network adapters.
- Right-click on the driver you want to update and click on Update driver.
- Now, click on the Search automatically for drivers. Windows will search your computer for the best available driver and install it on your device automatically.
Fix 9: Reinstall Steam
Sometimes corrupted Steam files can cause a “Steam download slow” issue. To fix this issue, you need to reinstall the Steam program. But if you don’t want to lose your games and programs, then it’s recommended to take back up of your Steam games before reinstalling the Steam.
To take the back up of your Steam games, you can follow the below steps:
- Open your Steam program.
- On your Steam program, click Steam. Then click Backup and Restore Games -> Click Next.
- Now, select the games and programs that you want to back up. Then click Next.
- Choose the backup destination where you want to store the backed-up games and programs. Then click Next.
- Now, configure backup file name and File size settings. Then click Next.
- Wait until the backup process gets completed. Then quit Steam.
Once you are done with the backup process of games and programs, head to reinstall the Steam. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Press Win+R.
- In the Run box, type appwiz.cpl and press Enter.
- Right-click on Steam in the list and select Uninstall. To uninstall the program, follow the on-screen instructions.
- Now download Steam and install it on your computer.
Fix 10: Disable VPN
Your active VPN can sometimes make trouble while downloading games. So if you are wondering why you are experiencing slow Steam downloading, then VPN could be one of the reasons behind it. In that case, disable your VPN or switch servers.
It must be annoying for you to experience slow downloading speed on your Steam client, especially when you are downloading your favorite game. But it’s a kind of relief that there is a solution to resolve this issue.
Hopefully, the solutions mentioned in this article above will help you fix the Steam Download Slow issue. If you have any queries and suggestions, then do let us know in the comment section below. And, for more such informative articles, stay connected to Geeks Visual.
Nishtha is one of the passionate authors at Geeksvisual.com. She is an information technology professional along with a passion for content writing, digital marketing, and other related stuff. Apart from this, she is also an online game enthusiast which adds a bonus point to her skills.